Genuine extracts from letters received by the then ministry of pensions in the nineteen fifties.
Unearthed these gems from a load of old files and paperwork I seem to have kept. Hope they are enjoyed.
1. I am glad to state that my husband died yesterday. I will be glad to get a pension. If you don't hurry up I will have to get public resistince.
2. I cannot get eternity benefit in spite of the fact I saw the insistence officer. I have eight children. What can I do about it.
3. I have nothing coming in the house except two sons on the dole. I am visited regularly by the clergy, will you right to the pensions minister for me as I do not know the church he is in. I can really do with a pension as I have no cloths on for a year.
4. I am enclosing my marriage certificate with three children. One of them is a mistake as you will see when you look at it. I am writing to say that my youngest child is born two years ago. Why am I not getting an allowance for it.
5. I enclose the certificate with six children one of them is a twin and died. You ask if he is christened. Yes. He was baptised on a piece of paper by a captain in the salvation army.
6. A man I live with won't work. he wants to know if my husband is dead. Will you search the records office for him and let me know.
7. I should have more pension as my son is in charge of a spitoon. I got separate money when he was listed. You want to know what part he is wounded in. If it's all the same to you he was wounded in the Dardy Nells.
8. I am writing to you truly. yes I was confirmed with a boy weighing ten pounds. Let me know if this is what you wanted because I have fallen in error with my landlord and need it badly to pay the rent.
9. In accordance with your instructions I have given birth to twins in the enclosed envelope.
10. Money is needed for baby milk as his father is unable to supply it.
11. I want money bad as quick as you can send it. I have been in bed with the doctor for over a week and he doesn't seem to be doing much very good. If things do not improve I will have to get another doctor.
12. Please send me a form for cheap milk for having babies at a reduced rate.
13. Please send me a proper form for milk as I am stagnant.
14. Re your enquiry, the teeth at the top are all right but the one's in my bottom are now hurting terribly.
15. Please send me a form for cheap milk as I have a baby two months old and did not know anything about it until a neighbour told me about it.
16. My husband is not here but the baby is, I think he has lost it by mistake so I need another one quickly as we are hungry.
Published on writebuzz®:
> A day in my life